Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Road Trip Wednesday #153: You Oughta Be In Pictures


Taking part in YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday. This week's prompt:

What is it that makes some books seem ideal for a film translation?

Great stories are great stories, but some work better in a specific medium. When a story is translated from a book to a movie, a lot depends upon the translator. Just like in languages, you can't just translate the words directly. You need to translate the context, you need to use appropriate idioms, you need to capture the tone and feel of the original.

Sometimes this is straightforward, sometimes not. Books with few characters and lots of dialogue are easier to translate into a movie - but it may not be a good movie. The pacing of the words, the visual image that the reader draws, the picture they make in their head; these things may not match what the film produces. The hard reality of what is on the screen takes a way from the magic our imagination creates. The English Patient is an example that didn't work for me - the movie wasn't the book in my head - but it worked well for many others.

Long books, books with many characters and complex worlds, generally don't translate as easily. Movies are too short and need to be more linear than a book. The Lord of the Rings is a perfect example of this. Yes, I think the movies (plural) came out great. But it took hundreds of millions of dollars and three very long films to come close to doing the books justice. War and Peace is an example of where it doesn't work to simplify things into a shorter medium.

So any book can be translated into a good film. Some are just easier to do than others (I'm curious to see how Cloud Atlas turns out). The truth is that it's often the simplest stories that come across the best (Twilight). But the very complicated ones are the most rewarding when they work (Harry Potter).




5 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to Cloud Atlas. From what I've seen it looks like they've done a good job. I agree with your comments on LOTR, the movies are awesome but that was 7 years work... I think they did a great job with what they had, but it still can't compete with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the previews I think that Cloud Atlas will be a fair bit different than the book. But hopefully in a good way.

      Delete
  2. "Movies are too short and need to be more linear than a book."

    Great statement! My sentiments exactly. Though, I am always so happy when it works. So, very, very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether or not a film adaptation works is, I think, more in the hands of the director. I totally agree with you that some books are easier to make into movies, and I think that's in part by the fact that writers today (myself included) tend to think cinematically when we write. However, even complex, multi-character stories can be made into good movies if the director can find the soul of the story and work out how best to tell it on the big screen. If by "good" you mean "faithful to the book," then even the best of movies might fail on that. But if by "good" you mean "a good movie," then that's certainly possible. That's what I think, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that what I want is a good movie - doesn't have to be 'faithful' to be good. Because if I want faithful, I'll just read the book.

      Delete