Thursday, November 1, 2012

Random spots of beauty

Well, there doesn't seem to be a Booking Through Thursday prompt today. Probably too busy with NaNoWriMo like the rest of us (I'll update on that tomorrow). But I just wanted to add a little something connected to my post on internet resources yesterday.

I've been a grumpy facebook user for years. I was petulant when I had to start tweeting. I still complain that the internet is not an equivalent to personal interaction. But I'm starting to change my mind a bit.

In addition to the nice people I've been meeting here and other places, I've seen some very cool things on the internet lately. Things that make you want to say 'awwww'.

On Twitter I've seen a well-established author sincerely congratulate a random aspiring writing for finishing one whole page of a project, people get help when 911 was down, support for people clearly depressed and despairing.

On Facebook I've seen friends get well wishes and advice while going through tough medical situations, random photos showing random kindness in the wake of Sandy, and even some people encouraging voters or all persuasions to participate.

I've received positive comments on this blog that suggests it IS worth doing, I've given and received advice on forums, I've found people who I can call friends even if I have no idea what they look like.

Sure, there's lots of ugliness out there, too. But much of that beauty that I've found would have remained hidden if not for the internet and social media. Maybe it's not the same as live interaction, but it is personal and it does mean something.

1 comment: